Parent Helpers and VolunteersWelcome to Carlin Park Elementary school! As a volunteer you can have a significant, positive effect on a child's skill development. As a volunteer, your role is to support children's work and enhance their attitude toward academics, as well as to help develop their self-esteem. Academics and self-esteem are critical elements for students to become successful.
Listed below are some guidelines and suggestions you will find helpful as you interact with our students.
- Be punctual and reliable.
- Notify the teacher as soon as possible if unavoidably delayed or unable to keep your schedule.
- KEEP ALL STUDENT DATA CONFIDENTIAL. NO NAMES OF STUDENTS ARE TO BE DISCUSSED OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL OR WITH ADULTS OTHER THAN THE CHILD'S TEACHER.
- Children's behavior should not be discussed outside the school. If parents want information, please refer them to the teacher or principal.
- Never talk to another adult about a child's problems or difficulties in front of the child or other children.
- Children have different abilities. Praise each child for what he or she can do and for his or her progress. Do not compare children.
- Be friendly, warm and courteous to all students to put them at ease.
- If you have any questions about the duties you've been given, please ask the teacher for clarification.
- Treat children with respect.
- Laugh with, never at a child.
- Comment on the child's strength, not weakness.
- Learn to recognize constructive noise. Children are expected to use softer voices indoors.
- Don't do anything for a child he can do himself. Help children to help themselves.
- Watch for the child who needs a word of encouragement.
- Warn children in advance of change of activity. You could say, "I need a helper to...." but don't insist. Start putting away and some children may join you.
Carlin Park Elementary Booster Club supports the learning goals of our school. We work together to facilitate school volunteers, raise funds for materials and programs, and contribute to the success of each child. Please contact the school office if you are interested in becoming an active participant in our many projects.